I have recently become fascinated by nutrition and metabolism. Over the last couple years I have done a lot of research on the subjects and have tested out a variety of different theories in my own day to day food plans. One thing that I have found very interesting is the human process of heat production or Thermogenics. Specifically Diet Induced Thermogenesis (DIT). The body will actually heat and expend more calories simply by processing certain foods. If you were to include these foods in your meals throughout the day, you would gradually increase your resting metabolic rate. The results could include increased energy, heightened awareness, weight loss and even mood elevation. Over the last year, my inclusion of these foods has definitely made a difference in my body chemistry and how my body operates. All positive. In fact, if you were to do only one thing to change how your body expends calories through the day I truly feel that consuming 30 grams of protein in a shake with a tablespoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice in the first 30 minutes you are awake would be the greatest super charger.
Here are a list of foods that can get your tissues warmed up and working for you:
- Spicy foods such as salsas, hot peppers, plain black pepper, hot sauce etc.
- Green Tea
- Cinnamon, Ginger & Nutmeg (you can use Pumpkin Pie spice, it has all three and is delicious)
- Grapefruit & Berries of all kinds
- Broccoli and Cabbage (especially raw)
- Vinegars (apple cider is a good choice)
- Coconut Oil
- Most important of all though is Protein. Specifically lean protein sources like Tuna, Whey, Chicken etc.